Countries! They are one of the main starting point of people for international conversations in English. People expect you to know the names of their countries while speaking. Then, what is a country first of all? A Country is a certain area of land in the world with its own nation, government and economy. The word “state” is also used to refer to a country, so they are considered as synonymous terms in most cases to mean self-governing political parts of the world. Some countries are independent which means they are governing themselves and have sovereignty over their country.
- The word “territory” means an area of land that a state or a ruler has.
- A nation refers to the people with common language, culture and history living in the same country or territory.
- There are about 200 countries in the world.
Table of Contents
⬤ Countries with pronunciations
⬤ Names of some countries in English
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom / UK
- United States / USA
⬤ Flashcards game
⬤ Flip cards game
⬤ Countries in everyday English
- He is Russian.
- We are Chinese.
- They are Turkish.
- She is British.
- This is Brazil. It is a big country.
- India is a nice country.
- Italians live in Italy.
- I am Mexican. I live in Mexico.
- I am Spanish and I live in Spain.
>> Where are you from? – I am from England.
>> Where is he from? – He is from Turkey.
>> Where is Paul from? – Paul is from France.
- Where are you from? – I am from Italy.
- What nationality are you? – I am Italian.
- Where do you live? – I live in South Korea.
- Where do you go for holiday? – I go to Greece.
- Can you show me Portugal on the map? – Here is Portugal.
- Do you know this place on the map? – It is Canada.
- Are you American? – Yes, I am American.
- Is he Japan? – No, he isn’t. He is Chinese.
- Are you Egyptian? – Yes, I am Egyptian.
- Are you German or French? – I am French.
My Friends (Reading passage):
These are my friends. This is Takumi. He is from Japan. This is Lucas. He is from Denmark. This is Oliver. He is from Britain. These boys are from The USA. They are American. That is Lucia under the tree. She is from Spain. She likes reading under the tree. That is Li. He is Chinese. He lives in China. Lastly, this is Yasin. He is Turkish. He lives in Turkey. I have many friends from different countries.
⬤ Countries Exercies
⬤ Countries Worksheets
|• Flashcards worksheet|
|• Activity worksheet|
|• Word scramble game worksheet|
|• Word search puzzle worksheet|