Future simple tense (simple future tense) is a verb tense that expresses the actions that will happen at a later time. The auxiliary verb is “will” and we use the bare form of the verb. We use this tense to talk about the actions that are supposed to happen in future, so we need future time expressions here such as “tomorrow”, “next week” and “three days later”.
Table of Contents
- ⬤ Formation of future simple tense
- ⬤ Positive (Affirmative) sentences
- ⬤ Negative sentences
- ⬤ Interrogative (Negative) sentences
- ⬤ Sentence forms in future simple tense
- ⬤ Explanations and usages of future simple tense
- ⬤ Time expressions in future simple tense
- ⬤ Time adverbs exercise
- ⬤ Pictures and example sentences
- ⬤ A Conversation example
- ⬤ Translate the sentences below into your native language.
- ⬤ Sentence scramble game
- ⬤ Example sentences about future simple tense
- ⬤ Questions and answers
- ⬤ Reading text exercise
⬤ Formation of future simple tense
For affirmative sentences we use the formation of “will + verb”. To make negative sentences we use “will not“. To make questions we put the auxiliary “will” before the subject. Watch the animated sentences below to learn the structure of future simple tense.
⬤ Positive (Affirmative) sentences
For the formation of positive sentences in future simple tense use “will” and infinitive (bare) form of the verb. The short form of “will” is “‘ll”.
- I will ask a question.
- She will clean her room.
- Martin will repair the car.
- I will be in Istanbul tomorrow.
⬤ Negative sentences
For the formation of negative sentences in future simple tense we use “not” just after “will“. The short form is “won’t”
- He will not drink tea.
- We won’t wait for the bus.
- I won’t use the computer.
- Sarah will not come.
- I promise I won’t do that again.
⬤ Interrogative (Negative) sentences
For the formation of questions (interrogative sentences) in future simple tense we put “will” before the subject.
- Will you help me?
- Will James send the letters?
- Where will you go?
- What will they do?
⬤ Sentence forms in future simple tense
|(+) Affirmative sentences||(-) Negative sentences||(?) Interrogative sentences|
|I will play.||I won’t play.||Will I play?|
|You will play.||You won’t play.||Will you play?|
|He will play.||He won’t play.||Will he play?|
|She will play.||She won’t play||Will she play?|
|It will play.||It won’t play||Will it play?|
|We will play.||We won’t play||Will we play?|
|They will play.||They won’t play||Will they play?|
❯❯ Learn verb to be here
❯❯ Learn simple present tense here
❯❯ Learn present continuous tense here
❯❯ Learn be going to future tense here
❯❯ Learn simple past tense here
❯❯ Learn past continuous tense here
❯❯ Learn present perfect tense here
⬤ Explanations and usages of future simple tense
Below are the usages, explanations time adverbs of future simple tense. Note that “shall” is used instead of “will” in some cases.
⬤ 1- Talking about a future events
- I will live in a big house.
- They will be here next week.
- I hope, he will visit us.
⬤ 2- Guessing a future event
- I think, they will win the match.
- I think, it will rain tomorrow.
- I believe, you will succeed.
⬤ 3- Willingness
- I’ll carry the suitcase for you.
- Don’t worry. I will do it for you.
- We’ll show you the way.
⬤ 4- Offering something
- Shall I bring some more cake?
- Shall I open the window?
⬤ 5- Suggestions
- Shall we go out tonight?
- Shall we watch film?
- Shall we go for a walk?
⬤ Time expressions in future simple tense
- next week , next month, next year
- in 2030, in 2028, in 2040
- 2 days later, 3 years later, 2weeks later
- in two weeks
⬤ Time adverbs exercise
You can see the future simple tense time adverbs below. Click on the cards and tell the meaning of them in your native language..
⬤ Pictures and example sentences
Here is a nice activity to learn future simple tense. Look at the images and read the example sentences below.
⬤ A Conversation example
Here is a conversation to learn future simple tense. You can make similar dialogues.
Will you help me for my maths exam?
I think I will fail.
Don’t worry. You won’t fail.
I will help you.
Thanks a lot.
You are very kind.
I’ll be there at about 6 PM.
⬤ Translate the sentences below into your native language.
You will see different examples of future simple tense here. Try to translate the sentences on the cards into your own language.
⬤ Sentence scramble game
You will see scrambled words. Click on the words and make correct sentences.
⬤ Example sentences about future simple tense
Below are some example sentences to learn future simple tense.
➔ 10 examples of about future simple tense
- I will live in a different city.
- I hope she will come to help me.
- Will everybody come?
- Where will you go for holiday?
- Adam will not return next week.
- If you wear warm clothes, you won’t get cold.
- The engine will start when you push that button.
- I won’t do my homework in the evening. I will do it now.
- I don’t know this place. I will look at the map.
- We will visit you on Sunday.
⬤ Questions and answers
Read the questions and the answers below to learn how to use about future simple tense.
➔ 10 questions and answers about future simple tense
- Will you phone me?
Yes, I will.
- Will you sell your car?
No, I won’t sell my car.
- Where will you wait?
I will wait at the bus stop.
- Will you post the letters, please?
OK. I will.
- Will William come with you?
No, he will stay at home.
- Will Linda lend you her book?
Yes, she will lend it.
- Will you discuss the problem?
Yes, we will discuss it.
- What will she wear for the ceremony?
She’ll wear a dress.
- Where will you hide it?
I’ll hide it under the sofa.
- Who will join us?
Margaret and Betty will join us.
- Do you think they will win the match?
Yes. I think they will score at least 3 goals.
⬤ Reading text exercise
➔ Life in 2050
I think the world will be a very different place in 2050. Technology will improve. Life will be easier. Robots will do a lot of housework. We will use electric cars, but we won’t drive them. Because they will go themselves. Scientists will find new stars. We won’t have health problems this much. We will live longer. I hope we won’t have any wars in future. Because the weapons will be stronger. If we use them, we will destroy the world.