F-1 Student Visa

ALCC American Language is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. With that, students who are not living in the U.S. can use an I-20 form issued by ALCC to apply for an F-1 visa from their home country.

Students currently attending another school in the U.S. can apply to transfer to ALCC. Other individuals currently in the U.S. can apply to change their visa status to an F-1 student visa through ALCC.

Students who request an I-20 will be required to complete a registration form and submit certain financial information (see below). Our school agents and “Foreign Student Office” are happy to guide you through the necessary steps to receive an I-20.

Students studying with an F-1 student visa are required to study in a full-time ESL program with a minimum of 18 hours per week while meeting mandatory attendance requirements.

When you are accepted into our program, a completed I-20 form and a letter of acceptance will be given or sent to you.

Our Foreign Student Office will once again help students residing in the U.S. to apply for a change of visa status or a school transfer from another U.S. school.

Overseas, students will have to go to their local U.S. Consulate or Embassy with their passport, I-20 form issued by ALCC, and appropriate financial information to apply for an F-1 student visa. Once you have been accepted to study English at ALCC, you can then receive detailed information on the next steps. All students applying for a new I-20, or a change of status, will have to pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. government.

Financial Requirements

You will need to provide us with proper documentation in order for us to issue your I-20. This includes a copy of your recent (not more than 60 days old) bank statement, or a letter from your bank (in English) showing that you have sufficient funds for the length of your study in New York.

If someone is sponsoring you, we will need their bank statement, or a letter from their bank (in English) showing that they have sufficient funds for the length of your study in New York. Your sponsor must also complete an Affidavit of support.

For more information, please feel free to reach out to us.