In a city with over 25,000 people per square mile, there are quite a few interesting facts about current population statistics and historical development. Many students that study ESL in New York don’t realize how much history and information resides in this city. There are a lot of fun facts to learn about the largest city in the United States!
- Cheap: Most people don’t realize that the island of Manhattan only cost the equivalent of $24! A Dutch explorer purchased the entire area from the Native Americans in exchange for a pile of tools that were worth just a little bit of money.
- Big: As the most populated city in the country, it was also the capital for one year from 1789 to 1790.
- Diverse: While English is the most common language in the city, almost half of the residents speak a different language at home. This helps individuals that study ESL in New York to learn the language from a variety of people with different accents.
- Popular: Most years almost 50 million visitors arrive to tour the city and spend almost $30 billion dollars. There are over 250 movies shot on location in the city every year.
- Yummy: There are over 4,000 street vendors in the city, and you can get just about any type or genre of food you can imagine.
As you can see, there are a number of reasons this city is unique and diverse. Students who study ESL in New York enjoy their experiences and make memories that last a lifetime. Look for more information about international classes and how you can learn English in the best city in America. There is so much to see and do!