Learn English in New York City
(212) 736-2373Student Login


  Schedules & Fees
  Student Services
  Living Accommodations
  Read Reviews
  Register Online
  Contact us
  Refund Policy
  ALCC American Language Brochure
  American Language Communication Center
229 W 36th ST
New York, NY 10018-7529


Student Visa Requirements

ALCC is authorized under federal law to enroll non immigrant alien students. Students not living in the U.S. can use an I-20 form issued by ALCC to apply for an F-1 Visa from their home country. Students currently attending another school in the U.S. can apply to transfer to ALCC. Other individuals currently in the U.S. can apply to change their visa status to an F1 Student Visa through ALCC.

Students who request an I-20 will be required to complete a registration form and submit certain financial information. Our School Agents and "Foreign Student Office" will guide you through the necessary steps to receive an I-20.

Students studying with an F-1 Student Visa are required to study in a full-time ESL program - a minimum of 18 hours per week and meet attendance requirements.

When you are accepted into our program, a completed I-20 form and a letter of acceptance will be given or sent to you. Our Foreign Student Office will assist students residing in the U.S. to apply for a change of visa status or a school transfer from another U.S. school.

Overseas students will have to go to their local U.S. Consulate or Embassy with their passport, I-20 form issued by ALCC, and appropriate financial information to apply for an F1 Student Visa.
Once you have been accepted to study English at ALCC, you can get detailed information on the next steps here: studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students

All students applying for a new I-20, or a change of status, will have to pay a $200 SEVIS fee to the U.S. government.

Financial requirements

You will need to provide us with the following in order for us to issue your I-20.

A copy of your recent (not more then 60 days old) bank statement, or a letter from your bank (in English) showing you have sufficient funds for the length of your study in New York.

If someone is sponsoring you, we will need their bank statement, or a letter from their bank (in English) showing they have sufficient funds for the length of your study in New York. Your sponsor also must complete an Affidavit of Support. (Click HERE to print the form)

Site Map